Friday, March 18, 2011

Back home in the UK

Im back home in the UK to be greeted by beaming sunshine! its stunning weather, but I have to be honest the bare feet have had to be covered with wellyboot socks and eskimo boots! Its not quite summer here.

South Africa more then delivered the goods this season - what an epic year. The days without wind were few and far between and necessary when they arrived. Im so much stronger and fitter then I have been in a long while and it feels great.



(freestylin' in 30+ knots photo by Ellen Langeree)

I spent way more time on my wave board this year. Its my weaker side for wave riding which is probably a good thing and I fully started to get to grips with the back side riding. The last two weeks have been awesome with 5-6ft waves rolling in regularly. It feels cool to be confident in amongst and banging out the wave rides too!



(not sure what happened to the water, think the ships might have been cleaning their tanks. Taste about as good as it looks, but epic session)


The freestyle was gnarly. The wind was for 7m and 5m Naish Torch pretty much 90% of the time. Its hardcore trying to learn new tricks in that, so I ventured up to Langebaan and a couple of dams too to find some bliss in amongst the carnage.



(9m session at Brandvlei Dam)

It was a cool crew of people out there this season and I loved hanging out with Jalou Langeree from Holland and Bruna Kajiya from Brazil. Its pretty hard finding kiting girls to spend time with especially ones as motivated as them who push you hard. Its my goal to set up some trips this year for kiting girls of all level to get together and have fun. The first one will be 1-4th May and you can find out more here on Jo Wilson Coaching.



(Chilling with Bruna)

Next up I have a couple of weeks in the UK to catch up with emails and coaching, but also to get out training in the hills. Jalou and I are heading to Norway in 10 days time for the Redbull Ragnarok. The name "Ragnarok" stems from an incident in Norse mythology, describing the last battle between the good and evil Gods, where only the heroes of the battlefield survive.

Red Bull Ragnarok imitates this myth in the respect that only a mere few snow-kite heroes will succeed. Endurance is paramount, and only the toughest riders will make it to the finish line.

To be fair that is the blurb that I found on the website. Its all I know about it and I've never snow kited before! Of course we are taking Craig from Blue Juice Multimedia to film the action! Im just hoping they will fit me with some kind of tracking device!

Right on, will keep you posted! Wish me luck.

No comments: